Terms and Conditions
DATA PROTECTION STATEMENT
The Society is a small not-for-profit organisation and thereby qualifies for the exemption to notify under the Data Protection Act 1998. However, the Council of the Society is fully aware of its obligation to comply with the eight principles of good practice in relation to data protection and has taken all necessary steps to meet these eight principles set out as follows:
The 8 Principles say that data must:
(1) Be fairly and lawfully processed. Processing covers obtaining, recording, retrieving consultation, holding, disclosing and use of data. Data controllers must not process personal data unless at least one of the following conditions are met
- The individual has given his or her consent to the processing;
- Processing is necessary for the performance of a contract with the individual;
- Processing is required under a legal obligation;Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of the individual;
- Processing is necessary to carry out public functions;
- Processing is necessary in order to pursue the legitimate interests of the data controller or third parties (unless it could prejudice the interests of the individual).
The Data Protection Act imposes further restrictions on the processing of sensitive personal data which include information about racial or ethnic origin; political opinions; religious or other beliefs; trade union membership; health; sex life; criminal allegations, proceedings or convictions;
(2) Be obtained for specified lawful purposes and shall not be processed for any other purpose;
(3) Be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose for which it is held;
(4) Be accurate and where necessary up to date;
(5) Not be kept longer than necessary for the purpose for which it was originally processed;
(6) Be processed in accordance with the data subject's rights;
(7) Secure against unauthorised or unlawful processing, or accidental loss, destruction or damage;
(8) Not be transferred to countries outside the European Economic Area unless that country has an adequate protection for the rights of data subjects.
The Society will normally only process data which is sufficient for the purposes of:
- establishing or maintaining membership;
- supporting the objects of the Society; or
- providing or administering activities for the members or those who have regular contact with the Society.
Persons providing information for the purpose of normal contact with the Society, including information necessary for the sale of publications or any other historical research purposes, can be assured that such information will be handled in conformance with the above Data Protection Statement.
Credit or Debit card information is not stored or collected by sunderland-antiquarians.org. All orders and any related credit card transactions conducted through Paypal, are securely processed by Paypal, and at no point does sunderland-antiquarians.org have access to your Credit or Debit card details.